Thursday, March 4, 2010

3/7/10 Week 8

Randy Paush: The Last Lecture
This was a very interesting lecture. I loved it from when it first started to when it finally ended. He has such a great idea of how to work with students and how to push them in a great way to where he helps them succeed. In the following paragraphs I will explain some of the ideas and things that he discussed in his video and I will give my opinion on it after explaining.
One of the ideas that he talked about early in his video was how to set goals and help your self achieve them. He talked about one instance when he was a little kid, how his football coach was getting on him pretty hard and he said he was thinking the same thing. Then another coach came up to him and said what Randy was thinking and he said the reason the coach was doing that was because he cared about him. The quote he said that caught my attention was "If you notice that somebody is criticizing you tough and continue to do it, its because they love you and care for you and once they stop they don't care anymore which is really bad." I think that it is a really good idea and I believe it so much that we should care for these kids and always critique them in a nice way like he said and help push them toward their potential.
The second point that he made was how to push your students even when they exceed your expectations on the first project or test. He used the example that when he first taught the class on virtual reality that his students did more than he could have imagined when he made up the idea. So, he went to his old professor and asked him what should he do since they did more than he imagined and his mentor said "tell that they did good but you can see that they could do better than that." So, that was a challenge that was sent out to the students and he said that they meet his expectations wonderfully. I like this idea, because I played baseball my whole life and when the coach told me something like that it really did work a lot.
Overall, Randy had great ideas on what he said and what he has done and what has been done to him also. I love this whole speech from beginning to the end and I will most definitively incorporate this into my future classes. And teach them these methods for when they get older.
Comments 4 Kids
I went to here and commented on her students blog whose name was Waylan. He wrote about how the loch ness monster was a hoax and I told him that he was right and that was about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment