Friday, January 29, 2010

HW 1/31/2010 Week 3


Media Literacy in the First Grade

I think it is crazy how developed these kids are, while just being first graders. They know so much stuff about how to blog that I never knew about, until I stepped foot into edm 310 for the first time. The show people how to find their class blog, and also how to leave comments for people to see. It is outstanding the work that this teacher has put in with the children.
It is very scary that these are going to be our future students. They know so much now, that it could be a possibility that they could be showing me some stuff when they get in my class. I love how the kids know the difference between fiction and non-fiction. I didn't know the difference until about fifth grade which is horrible, but they already know. They tell one that they need to leave nice comments on somebody's blog if you are going to comment. All I can say is that this teacher deserves a lot of credit for what she has done.
Little Kids...Big Potential
First off, all I have to say is that Mrs. Cassidy deserves the teacher of the year award. What she does with these kids is just outstanding. They already know how to use so many different programs that many adults today have no clue about. The ideas she comes up with the kids playing problem solving games on the ds, which is a fun way for these kids to use their brains and learn how to share with one another.
One thing I do know is if I have these kids when they are in high school, I don't know what I am going to do. Just because they will know so much more than me on how to make a presentation and how to present it efficiently to them. I might just have to get them to show how they do all those things, which means I will have to be a learning teacher. Which, is the best one's any student could ever find.
iPhone used by 1 year old baby
What can you say to that, but how crazy is it that these kids now a days know how to work an iPhone at such a young age. He knew how to unlock using his fingers and how to find pictures and scroll through them and even how to zoom in. This young child has a very bright future ahead of him if he continues in his path of an intellectual technological journey.
Podcasts
The smart board lesson podcast was quite boring to be honest. The guy talking had way to many noises and distractions going on around him, which that would throw me off. It just had me wondering where he was at when he did this podcast. He had some cool ideas with the smart board, how one could just put what they needed on the computer and do their presentation using the board, whether the be in a foreign country or even in the northern states.
Kids cast is pretty interesting how it kicks off, with all the music that really gets your foot a tapping. And the guy who is talking doesn't just cut the music off immediately when he starts talking, he allows to fade away behind his voice. He has a rather interesting point on his outlook on how teachers should go about using podcast verses "vodcast", which is video podcast. He talks about how it is probably easier on teachers to do audio podcast, because it is easier on the teacher where they do not have to do a lot work, taking up their time, and they still get the point across. But, he does say that it is good for students and teachers to do the video podcast, because it helps both parties prepare themselves for just speaking in front of people.
The EdTech talk is the most boring podcast I have ever listened to in my entire life. All I hear is this one lady ramble on and on and on about nothing it sounds like. I mean the talk shows I hear on the radio are way for fascinating then this one could ever be. The lady that was talking to the main speaker just sounded like a know it all person. She tried to use words that just seemed made up through out the entire talk they had. There no was change in voices, but it wasn't exactly monotone. Just overall, I really didn't enjoy this podcast.
Mac Break Weekly is pretty cool. They are like a legitimately radio talk show, which you can tell by the commercials, the guest they bring in, and the announcers. They hook your attention quickly with the cool up beat music playing at the beginning. I think that the iPad presentation is a great device. Just hearing them talk makes me want to go out and buy one. It sounds so neat with the power and speed it has to allow one user to go about on it. The neatest thing about it, is it is, a touch pad and you things around with the touch of your hand.
TWIP (This Week In Photography) was the same as the Mac Break, as far as, they both had music playing at the beginning and faded it away as the people started talking, which I like that stuff. The main speaker at first was quite boring, but the people he had with him made it interesting. They had a funny talk about a sony camera I believe, not being able to take pictures of Asian people, because the camera thought that their eyes were shut. And the people were doing was just discussing the whole thing, and what they think sony should do.

4 comments:

  1. You make a good point about kids learning better when they are doing something that interests them. My daughter loves to play the Wii and I have taken that interest and turned it into some positive things. I bought her a dancing game for indoor exercise and trivia games to stimulate her mind. There are so many technologies out there for us to use as tools for teaching children and we will learn about a number of them this term!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you when you state that Ms. Cassidy deserves the teacher of the year award. It's amazing to see how a little hard work in the beginning can evolve into so many great things. I always wonder just how she pulled it off and made it possible. As far as her students go, I like you want to teach high school and am always trying to think of ways to keep things interesting for these technologically advanced brain children! I listened to part of the EdTalk podcast and almost fell asleep. You were right, it was boring. Maybe I'll find the information that was on it useful in the future but as for now, I'd rather listen to a different podcast. Keep up the good bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blaine, I totally agree with you on the part about the students showing us a few things. it kind of scares me to know that the students we will be teaching are learning the same things we are in computer class. lol where does that put us? We better step it up a notch or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it Blaine - I will have to be a learning teacher. Which, is the best teacher any student could ever find. High five to ya.

    ReplyDelete