Wednesday, January 20, 2010

1/24 Week 2

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
I think this video does an excellent job at portraying the normal college student lifestyle. I mean the teacher has put a lot of things we do down to the "t". Many students who normally bring their lab tops to class usually play games or facebook the entire time. Also, if I were to average how much I worked a week it would come out to be about three and a half hours a day, which is crazy considering the fact that I take 16 hours, and spend at least two hours maybe more per class. I do not spend over two hours eating a day, I believe that is way to long for anybody. One thing I would strongly agree with the most, is the fact that we take these standardized test to help further our knowledge, but we will not need to know all that stuff in the real world. What does it do to help further our skills, when we are on our own?
For the most part I would say that the video does a pretty good job at describing my college experience so far. I do spend majority of my time studying outside of school, such as working on projects, typing papers, reading books, and keeping up this blog, which is pretty interesting. I do not get much sleep while in school, most of the sleep goes to homework, hanging out with my friends, and working. Out of all my teachers that I have had only four can remember my name to this day. What this video does tell me though, is that I should focus more on school then anything else if I am wanting to succeed in this life. I think this video should be shown to high school seniors before they come to college to let them know what they are getting themselves into.
"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines
I love the way this essay starts catching your attention to the fact that "It's Not About the Technology". If you have the same thought as me when you first read it, you are like "what is this women thinking?". But I have to say this is pure genius on giving future teachers and today's teachers an idea on how to think of things to help make students learn. Kelly does a great job at singling out us teachers by telling us that we need to learn our students and how much they know before they even step foot into our classroom. I love her analogy on teaching and learning by equating it to a simple physics terminology. She also says something about working smarter and not harder. Is she meaning to say that we should let them all work on a computer, or should we get them involved even more?
The third idea she presents is great by my belief. She is telling me that I should not blame the whiteboard if these kids are not learning, because at the end of the day it comes down to the person who was teaching the class. Me! This just inspires me to use the tools I will have to my advantage, as well as being an advantage to the students. Just from personal experience, I would agree with Kelly that the teachers that actually make you use your brain and think are the ones that the students remember forever. Because, these teachers stepped out of the normalcy way of doing things and got us involved, so that we would know what is going on in the world around us. I will keep this in my mind as I teach, that I need to be a learning teacher till the day I retire.
Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
Mr. Fisch has an awesome point even though it does seem pretty strict to those who do not know how to work a computer. But, I do agree with him 100%, because at the rate our world is changing technologically people are going to have to be able to work other programs. I think that teachers now should hold conferences, meetings, to where they could work on their computer skills and take it back to the classroom. I also agree with Karl that teachers should also work beside the students who are learning programs or systems, and learn with them.
His blog shows the importance of how us future teachers need to be technologically literate. It opens to my eyes to what is the possibility to the things that are going to come in 2020 when kindergartners are in college how much has change, how much have we taught them, and what are they going to do with the stuff that they have learned from us and on their own.
Gary Hayes Social Media Count
Wow, if everything in this continues to move at the pace it is going now, then there is no telling what it is going to be like when I am a teacher in a few years. There are going to be a lot of new things coming out within the next few years, that could possibly change the way we teach a little bit. But, people will be able to access anything from anywhere in the country and the world. It is just simply amazing how fast things change in just a short amount of time.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you describe your college experience. This made me think of a question I asked of a Doctor while I was learning pharmacology. I could not understand why I had to learn all this stuff, if it all came down to the right drug at the right time. Her reply simply was "The more stuff you throw at a wall the more that sticks". You never really realize what you have learned or where the information came from, just that it is part of your general knowledge bank.

    ReplyDelete